March 17, 2011

Richard Serra






[images via google image search]

I can't believe I haven't written a post about Richard Serra. Hello. Where have I been? There is an incredible Richard Serra sculpture at the Carnegie Museum, right on Forbes avenue in Oakland that thousands of students casually stroll by every day. Not many people realize this but you can actually go inside of it, which is my favorite part. Serra's early work was influenced by industrial steel mills and shipyards and the classic materials of such places; steel and lead. The sheer size of his sculptures create a presence all their own and seem to dwarf the viewer. Steel isn't always thought of as the most elegant material to work with, but I think Serra's work is, in a way, delicate and sophisticated.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...