April 25, 2011

Changing Education Paradigms

I know this may not sound like the most exciting video, but I promise you it is worth watching if you have any interest in the education system. And what the heck, its probably worth watching even if you don't.



Occasionally I can forget about why I am in education and what meaning or purpose it has. I get bogged down into my lesson plans and start worrying about the job market and budget cuts and how, oh yeah, art is the first thing to go in schools. And I just get kind of depressed, thinking why am I doing this? Who cares if if come up with some awesome lesson about collage narratives? And then I see videos like this or read things by Elliot Eisner or just plain get excited about paint and I feel back to normal. This is what motivates me to be in education; this is what motivates me even more to be in art education. Being an art teacher isn't just about teaching art but its about advocating for the arts in a time when we need it more than ever.

This video also made me think about starting my own school focused on the arts. In South Africa. With a dog.

Now, excuse me while I study for my praxis exam...which I must pass in order to help change the paradigms of education.

p.s. I especially like the part about how we need to be waking kids up. I might have cheered during that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...