May 10, 2011

Bottled Up




I love using flowers and leaves in my artwork. One of my favorite sculptures I made at Pitt involved pressing larger green leaves from my backyard and coating them with sealant and then stitching them together in a long curving line. There is something unique about working with live materials rather than inks or paints or other chemically involved medias. When I saw these bottles of flowers by Makoto Azuma I immediately fell in love. Flowers are never presented to us this way. Usually they are carefully arranged or planted, free to grow and move. Azuma has taken something that we are so used to associating with growth and life and halted that idea, yet still maintaining the natural beauty.

[images via Spoon & Tamago]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...