December 27, 2012

New Beginnings



It only seems appropriate to begin the new year with a change of direction in my current job. After months and months of praying and applying and interviewing I've decided to take a job as a nanny for a completely wonderful family. For the past 10 months I've worked as a toddler teacher for a very well respected and prestigious early learning center. Working with these children every day has taught me so much, not only about the children themselves but about my own self and my capabilities as a person. I never would have believed the amount of tasks I could complete simultaneously (if you are a mother I'm sure you understand this) or the sentences that would come out of my mouth ("Why were you chewing on my hair?"). And I will miss little fingers and arms grasping at my legs begging for "up". I will miss the hilarious bed head that happens to newly growing hair after a 2 hour nap. And I will miss a small "crowd" of 1-year-olds gathered at my feet as we read "The Big Hungry Bear" for the fourth time in a row.

But I am very excited to start a new job where I can focus all of my love and attention to one sweet little boy. I won't have to juggle nine other children and a laundry list of paperwork and documentation each day. I'm looking forward to watching him grow up and teaching him how to walk and talk and to figure out this new relationship of one instead of ten. And one of the biggest reasons why I made the switch was because this new position is going to afford me more time, more money, and more energy to focus on my overwhelming desire to pursue my own art practice.

With time- as I've learned to accept that this will be a long-haul- I see a small kiln, a wheel, and a mound of porcelain sitting in a corner of my apartment. Until then, I will be content to make this small, but significant step toward my dream.

//photo of Amy Merrick by Jennifer Causey for The Makers Project

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new job! Change can be exciting and needed and I'm glad that you have found a job that you are ready to move into. My fingers are crossed you get your kiln and wheel soon — I would love to see some of your work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...