April 4, 2011

Grateful for...


Today I took the plastic off of our windows in the living room. I know that the average person may not find this very important but it is, it completely is. Some of our windows are very old and very drafty and sealing them with plastic is really the only way to keep the cold air out and our gas bill down. Taking them off is just one more sign that winter is gone and spring is here (or so we hope...because it legitimately snowed on friday). Even though the sky is dark and gray today its warm and the birds are chirping. I sat out on our porch to eat breakfast and watched a pigeon gather sticks for its nest. It was such a reminder that we live in the city...back home I would probably see a cardinal or bluejay gathering sticks, but out here in Pittsburgh you see a pigeon gathering sticks from the gutter of your garage to build a nest in your neighbor's chimney. One time I saw a huge hawk in one of the trees though...but thats about the extent of the wildlife in our area.
Anyway, watching this pigeon make its nest made me think about a project I'd like to do involving nests...I'm thinking this Saturday I'll try and make it happen and hopefully post some photos.

[image via Weheartit]

1 comment:

  1. You're brave. I'm too much of a wimp to take off my storm windows yet - I wanted to the last weekend in March but then it snowed again. Blergh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...