July 30, 2011

A Saturday



This is my first Saturday off work in a long time. Whatever event we had going on at the club tonight was canceled which left me free as a bird. Except that I didn't really know what to do with myself. I drove into Oakland and hit some weird traffic but thought, "Well maybe this is Oakland traffic on a Saturday afternoon...I haven't really driven around here in a while on a Saturday..." Then I went to the park, grabbed a bubble tea and spent some time reading, occasionally glancing over to the other side of the street where large white tents were set up and groups of men in orange shirts and pants were walking. Then my friend Darnell came by and commented on the people in orange, saying how they are probably there for the new Batman movie.

"Ohhhhh...." That would explain the traffic. And the movie trailers parked outside the Cathedral of Learning.

So, no big deal, The Dark Knight Rises is being filmed in my city. I might meet Anne Hathaway. You never know.

Then I went to the art museum because, well, what else was a I going to do with all my free time?
So I wandered around the Pittsburgh Biennale Exhibit and got some inspiration for some ceramics lesson plans (which I'll share later). The Carnegie Museum of Art is really a second home for me. This week has been a little odd and has felt a little lonely at times but there is something comforting about going to the museum and sitting in front of a huge Monet. Or circling a Giacometti. Or finding a new favorite local artist. I could stand and look at these works for hours on end. And its comforting to know that I'm entering into a career that will enable me to work with art on a daily basis, to share my passion with students and to hopefully spark and appreciation for the arts in them.

How was your Saturday?

[image via Carnegie Museum of Art]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...