August 29, 2011

Grateful for...





This weekend was a rather busy one. All the students from the universities are back which means that our campus ministry is finally in full swing (if you don't know, I am involved in a particularly wonderful church of individuals who spend their time studying the bible, praying, singing, eating, laughing, and enjoying each others company, as you can see from these photos). Each year we gear up for U. Pitt's activities fair which is where about one thousand clubs try to get one million students to join their club/team/dance squad/you-name-it by handing out free candy and t-shirts.





Our group goes about things a little differently. Instead of sitting chained to our club table and offering sugary bribes and oversized shirts we go off to actually talk to people. See, we're not interested in handing out flyers and getting 3,000 names on our sign up sheet. We just want to know who you are. So we spent the day meeting people and asking them about what they believe, if they believe in anything, and why. You can get a lot of interesting responses from people when you get a little bit deeper in conversation.





You see, the thing that I am grateful for is that my faith enables me to do this. Typically I avoid conversation with strangers at all costs. I don't really want to shoot the breeze about all the rain we're having lately. But there is something completely intriguing to me about what people believe and why. I love talking about my own faith and I would sit and talk about it for hours and hours (and days and days and months and...you get the idea) if people would only ask. How many people feel so strongly about something where they could say that?


The manly way to blow bubbles 



I'll get a little more specific: My friend Hannah and I met this one girl, a freshman at Pitt. She didn't really have any personal faith and hadn't really thought about it too much. But she was nice to talk to and she couldn't get over how brave we must be for going around and talking to people about these sometimes touchy subjects. She even thanked us for actually coming to talk to her. I asked her if I could show her why we love talking about our faith and she said yes, and so I will leave you with what I read to her:

"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again" 2 Corinthians 5:14-15

It is for love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...